Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Disaster Preparation

It feels the world is coming to the end sometimes.  Earthquakes, wild fire, so many natural disasters and so close to home.  It was freaky that last Thursday night, I dreamt all night about a fire coming our way and I was desperately to evacuate the things.  The next morning, first thing I heard about is the San Bruno explosion and fire that happened the evening  before although I didn't hear the news in anyways

Having a disaster so close to home make me think of how little I am prepared for disasters. I think in the next few weeks I need to:
  1. Pack a go bag.
  2. Store food that does not require refrigeration
  3. Store 12 gallon water in total.
  4. Call a handy man to fasten all the bookcases
  5. Find a data storage site that is away from our city to upload documents and pictures.
Things in the Go bag:
  • Pictures of each family member.
  • coins for pay phone and small changes
  • flash light
  • swiss army knife
  • some food/water
  • a set of change cloth for everyone
  • whistle
  • a set of contact lens
  • list of emergency contact
  • tooth brush and tooth paste
  • battery operated radio and batteries
  • health insurance card and doctor contact
  • first aide kit
  • allergie medicine
  • duct tape?
  • extra keys to house and car
Things remember to grab before we go: 
Security blankets for the kids

Anything I'm missing anything major?

2 comments:

  1. Maybe matches or some sort of lighter?? I think about this stuff too, which is why I have so many inexplicable things around. Like four headlamps and a four in one tool that can cut me out of my seatbelt and punch out my windshield if necessary. My friend also told me that I should always have sneakers in your car in case you need to do some walking/hiking unexpectedly. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you carried quite a weapon around. What four in one tool is this?
    I will definitely add the the fire and the sneaker to the list. Probably extra pair of socks too.

    I used to thought one of my co-worker kind of nuts because he hauls every junk around including a night vision goggle. But when disaster strikes, guess it is those over prepared has a better chance of survival.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...