Sunday, January 9, 2011

Have a JCREW day!

It has seemed that I toggle between JCREW and Anthro.  With the 30% off sale JCREW had at year end, I had purchase quite some JCREW without consciously knowing it.  One of the great thing about JCREW is its color palette.  Once you find something flattering, it is almost hard to resist another color.  The sizing has been consistent for the most part, which makes the on-line shopping easy, although I had realize the recent tank shape items seem to run large so I downsized most things sleeveless to size 0.


(Top: JCREW Pleated flutter shell, Skirt:  Cord Atlee skirt (Buy it here $24.99 + 30% off) Cardi: JCREW Cashmere femme cardigan Boots: UGG Australia)

In general JCREW felt easier to put together than Anthropologie items.  I think sometimes Anthropologie items has that too MUCH feeling.   They overpower you and all you see is the cloth itself rather you if you know what I mean.

Another complaint is that Anthro is also fuzzy with the majority of items needed dry cleaning or hand wash.  I wonder have anyone try to wash Bailey 44's jersey items that are made out of Rayon? It says dry clean, but I wonder if you can get away from handwash and dry flat.  It is ridiculous to have to wash a jersey item dry clean because unlike sweater, you have to wash it every wear and the dry cleaning bill quickly adds up.  I think one of those days I will be fed up enough to risk it just to see. Before that I am hoping if someone has already done it can share their experience.

Having to hand wash or dry clean jersey items sometimes gets me suspicious.  It is as if the manufacture just forego the pre-shrink process to save cost.  There are a lot of items from China that has good unique style, frills and ruffles, all the things Anthro are good for.  But the quality is low.   They are gone after a wash.  I can't help wondering if those handwash/dry clean jersey items from Anthro came from that same manufacture,  except that it is mark up 10 times.   Do you have issue with caring Anthro's items?

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for your suggestions on ways to style the Easy Keeper skirt. I will definitely have to try them out.

    I too am sometimes frustrated by Anthro's car instructions. Too many things are dry clean only -- or even worse, hand wash. Apparently, I'm supposed to hand wash the Knotted Poppies dress, which has sequined detail. I am afraid I will ruin it. For most things, I just throw them in a Dryel bag (with similarly colored items). I think I will do that for the Poppies dress. I wonder if it would work for your jersey dresses as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't ruined many items recently...but my washing machine has a function that says "Hand Wash" and I haven't had too much of a problem. I always hang dry all my clothes though...except for lounge wear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jamie: I would try the Dryel bag. Sometimes I don't like Dryel Bag's smell. it is so perfumed. All it does is to fresh up a bit, it doesn't really take out the sweats, right?

    Cindi: I love the "hand wash" setting on the washer. I had gotten away from dry cleaning with a lot of the sweaters using the hand wash setting. From my experience, cashmere are usually fine, but linen and silk hasn't been very good because it strip off the shines. Rayon is the one thing I am not really sure about. I only have 1 drying rack, so so when everything is hand wash, I am running out of space. Do you have a dryer line in your backyard or something?

    ReplyDelete
  4. J. Crew's sizing can be so frustrating. I got a tank in XXS and was surprised how large it was... It easily would be labeled as a small at any other store!

    I never dry clean sweaters, only coats. I have a pile of dirty Anthro dresses that I can't figure out how to clean either, so I am in the same boat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lyzi: You are too funny. I know what you mean about J.CREW's size runs large. I guess if someone who is slim like you can be sized out.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...